Wednesday, April 20, 2005

summer??

The day is great, I'm wearing shorts, and I just found out that sandles will be acceptable. I'm not going to be abusing the sandles, but I will be wearing them often. t-shirt/shorts/sandels. What more could I want from a job.

Oh yeah. I do work, but not very hard, and most of it is messing around. today we got a new file server. "Peter, could you build this as Server '03 with raid 1 for the system disk and raid5 for the storage?" "Sure, no problem." Took 10 minutes to start the install. Walk away for 3 hours while it built the raid-5 array. 2.56Terrabytes... We need a bigger tape library. Right now we only have about 1.5 terrabyte native space on the tapes, and that leaves no room for multiple backups. Time to spend more money! I have a relaxed atmosphere with a techie boss and a nearly open budget as long as he can justify it to the techie director of our department and write good enough grants.

1 comment:

Rosella said...

I hope my lifelong career allows me to wear flip flops, but I doubt I'll be so lucky. In fact, I used to want to be a professor just because I knew I could get away with wearing casual clothing to lectures. But becoming a professor is, like, hard and stuff.