Wednesday, October 27, 2004

It's good to have a big pipe...

So, here I sit at 12:30am at the Vontz Center for Molecular Studies downloading different Linux distros. Since I am functionally incapable of getting Debian to boot up to either KDM or GDM, I'm going to be trying SuSe 9.1 Personal and 9.1 Pro, Mandrake 10.0, and Fedora FC2. Who knows. At home, I've been using bittorrent and straight downloading. I rarely, if ever, saw better than 30KB/sec. Here, at the Vontz, I'm getting 1570KB/sec. 2 downloads at the same time max out the 100mb/sec ethernet connection. I would bet that a gigabit ether (1000baseT) connections would have seen even faster downloads. Anyways, it's good to have a big pipe.

3 comments:

nycderf said...

I guess I have a vague idea about what you are speaking about I gues that 's good to have a huge tunnel to drive a ford fiesta thru.

23r0 1m@g1n@t10n said...

It's like a waterpipe to your house. The bigger the pipe, the more water you COULD get. The bigger the pipe in data term, the more data you COULD download. I was able to download an entire DVD in under 90 minutes.

-Peter

rich said...

you and jane are such nerds! i kept thinking jane is the bigger nerd for being in a Phd program... but reading this blog just put you ahead of her.